Brunch in Lingerie

Wednesday, July 23, 2014





 I have a soft spot in my cold, tomboyish heart for early 20th century lingerie. On our way to wine country in the North Fork of Long Island, we drove through Manhattan and made sure to stop by the Fashion Institute of Technology and see the Exposed: A History of Lingerie exhibit. It showcased the changing silhouette of female undergarments from the 18th century to present day. Although it wasn't featured, one of my favorite vintage lingerie items is the "bed jacket", which originated in the 19th century, but wasn't really popularized until the 1930's when it became more about form than function. (I'm sure all the glamorous black and white photos of Hollywood starlets lounging around in satin pajamas helped too).

 I'm wearing a pretty, but common example of an early 30's satin and lace bed jacket. Pastel shades of turquoise, peach, jade, pink and ivory were common lingerie shades during that period. To continue with the romantic theme I wore it with sparkly gold heels, my faux lover's eye miniature portrait necklace and a gold mesh lariat. But to toughen it up and keep it from being too sweet, I wore it with my favorite pair of boot cut jeans and a striped tank. I wear silky, light bed jackets quite often in the spring and summer; they're perfect cover-ups over camisoles or tanks and if you replace the jeans with capris or work slacks, it's totally office appropriate. As pictured, I think it's the perfect way to wear your bed clothes to brunch and keep it classy. How do you like to incorporate lingerie into your outerwear? 

Speaking of brunch, we ate at Love Lane Kitchen in Mattituck, NY. Mr. Franzos got the fresh berries, granola and yogurt; I got the egg, ham and cheese sandwich on gluten-free toast. We both got thick diner mugs full of hot coffee before we hit the region's vineyards for some wine tasting. What's your favorite brunch item?




What I wore: Vintage bed jacket, Here are some on etsy. Jeans: Seven For All Mankind
Striped tank: J.Crew, Similar here. Necklace 1: vintage, fake “Lover’s eye miniature necklace.” Necklace 2: vintage, gold mesh lariat probably by Whiting and Davis. Necklace 3: auction find. Heels: Giuseppe Zanotti. $$ Similar here.  and  $ similar here.    Straw Clutch: Coach, similar here.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin






 Your bosom friend from Pittsburgh, 




10 comments :

  1. I love this post. Such clean and eye catching photography as well as those amazing boot cut jeans and gold shoes!

    xo, Melody
    http://blingaholic88.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melody! Thanks for reading and the nice comments. I'll be sure to pass on the photography compliments to my husband.

      Delete
  2. I love that bit of history about lingerie! Your bed jacket is so beautiful and delicate. I also really really love that eye necklace - anything with eyes on it is a favorite.

    http://theleatherfannypack.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Raissa! Thanks for reading and kind words.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting bit of fashion history… I did not know what a bed jacket was and now I think I need one! I'm always looking for light sweaters or jackets to put over short sleeves and tanks. I consider myself to be a tomboy who likes 'girly' things so I love how you add an edge to the elegant. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ubermomma!
      Thanks for dropping by. Bed jackets are really fun. Oh and I forgot to mention. Most are machine-washable, this one included:) I just put it in a mesh lingerie bag and throw it in the washer.

      Delete
  4. You are beautiful and your photography is awesome, so clear and captures all the best features of your outfit. Love the necklace as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jade. I love your name! Thanks for reading and for the nice words:)

      Delete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |